Child Visitation and Custody Lawyer Rockville MD
A Rockville MD child visitation and custody lawyer will tell you that agreements pertaining to children are key aspects of the divorce process. Before signing any agreements, it’s important to understand the various types of arrangements and options. When you work with Daniel J. Wright, a child visitation and custody lawyer based in Rockville, Maryland, you can feel confident that your children’s best interests will remain front and center. Because everyone’s circumstances are different, it’s important to have your case reviewed by a legal professional to learn what options are available to you, and what will likely be approved by the court.
Our child visitation and custody lawyer at our Rockville MD office is available to provide you with a consultation to help you begin the process towards resolving your situation. Should you have any questions or concerns during the process of working out an agreement, your Rockville MD child visitation and custody lawyer will be happy to address them. Daniel J. Wright is prepared to help you take action today.
Legal custody of the child. When a parent has legal custody of their child, they are authorized to make significant decisions on the child’s behalf. Such decisions can range from medical decisions, religious choices, school choices, and much more. There are two types of legal custody:
- Sole legal custody. If a parent has sole legal custody, they are the only parent who has the legal right to make significant decisions on the child’s behalf. Our child visitation lawyer in Rockville MD shares that the parent with sole legal custody does not have to seek co-permission from the other parent to make these decisions.
- Joint legal custody. Both parents have the legal right to make significant decisions on the child’s behalf. Having joint physical custody is not necessary for a parent to be granted joint legal custody. For instance, if one parent has physical custody of the child, but the other parent lives in another part of the country, they may not see their child but if given joint legal custody, they retain the right to share in the decision making process.
To learn more about legal custody, contact our trusted child visitation and custody lawyer serving Rockville MD.
Physical custody of the child. The parent with whom the children live with for the majority of the time is the parent with physical custody. There are two main types of physical custody that our child visitation and custody lawyer in Rockville MD wants you to understand:
- Sole physical custody. In this type, the child lives in one of the parent’s houses and the parent who does not have physical custody is usually awarded visitation rights, including sleepovers.
- Joint physical custody. This is also known as “dual residence,” “shared parenting,” and “shared custody.” As the names imply, the child lives in both parents’ houses, staying in one on weekends, or part of the week, or part of the year. Generally speaking, the child’s time is divided equally between the two homes.
There are a number of agreements regarding physical custody that you and your ex may make, because of this, you will want a Rockville, Maryland child visitation and custody lawyer by your side representing you.
Visitation rights. If the parent who does not have physical custody of the child is granted the right to visit with the child on a regular basis, this is referred to as visitation rights.
- Unsupervised visitation. A parent who is granted unsupervised visitation can take their child to their own home or visit with them elsewhere during scheduled visitation times.
- Supervised visitation. When the court orders this type of visitation, the parent who does not have primary custody cannot be left alone with the child and must have a pre-approved adult present at all times to supervise the visit.
To discuss your case with our trusted Rockville MD child visitation and custody lawyer, contact Daniel J. Wright today.
“Dan Wright is unquestionably a principled attorney of the first water. He possesses an uncanny prescience for truly understanding the needs of his clients. He will go the extra mile.”