Collections Lawyer Rockville MD
Rockville, Maryland collections lawyers specialize in debts and assets, especially unpaid accounts. These legal professionals also understand the basics of bankruptcy law. Some collections lawyers serving Rockville MD work for large companies such as credit card issuers, but others work for debtors, the people who owe the money. As a debtor, you might retain a debt collection attorney if creditors are suing you or if you are getting ready to file for bankruptcy. Our collections lawyer serving Rockville MD at The Law Office of Daniel J. Wright can support you by keeping your interests at the forefront.
What Does a Debt Collection Attorney Do?
When two parties, debtor and creditor, are engaged in a dispute over a financial matter, both sides may consider representation from a collections lawyer in Rockville MD. These lawyers can make recommendations about the different aspects of the case. Here are a few of the things that you can expect from The Law Office of Daniel J. Wright, a Rockville MD collections lawyer you can depend on:
- A lawyer who can look at both sides and advise clients whether litigation is the best avenue to pursue, or whether a restructured payment plan might be a better option.
- A lawyer who can work for creditors by filing legal motions to keep debtors from hiding assets.
- A lawyer dedicated to helping clients on both sides develop a realistic understanding of their case, costs associated with pursuing it, and alternatives to court proceedings such as mediation or arbitration.
Is a Debt Collection Attorney the Same as a Collections Agent?
A collections lawyer working in Rockville MD is not the same as a collections agent. Collection agencies work only for creditors. Most collection agencies are the departments of a larger organization, such as a credit card company. If you have past due accounts with a company, someone from the collection agency will contact you to arrange for payment. If this is unsuccessful, the case may be turned over to a debt collection attorney who can take it further into the legal system.
Should I Hire a Debt Collection Attorney if a Creditor Sues Me?
If a creditor sues you, consider these factors to determine whether you need to hire a Rockville, Maryland collections lawyer:
- Do you owe the money? If the answer is yes and you have no defense or counterclaim, it’s probably better to pay the debt than to pay an attorney’s fees and lose anyway.
- Do you have a defense? A defense is a legal reason why you should not have to pay the debt. For example, if the creditor can’t produce the paperwork to support its claim, that is a defense.
- Do you have a counterclaim? A counterclaim is a claim against the creditor related to the financial dispute. You may be able to make a counterclaim if, for example, if the creditor has violated laws about collections practices in its attempts to get money from you.
If you’re facing a dispute over a debt you owe, consult a qualified civil litigation lawyer trusted by Rockville MD residents at The Law Office of Daniel J. Wright to preserve your rights and determine what your next steps should be.