If you and your ex are considering mediation, you should consult a family dispute mediation lawyer Rockville MD residents trust. Mediation aims to resolve disputes to negotiate a settlement that’s fair to both parties. It can be very helpful to couples who are open to compromise.
Benefits of Mediation
More and more divorcing couples are choosing mediation over going to court. Here are some of the benefits of mediation:
- Greater Control: If you and your ex opt for mediation, the two of you will be in control of the outcome, rather than the court. If the two of you are willing to overlook your differences, you can create custom plans and agreements that benefit both of you. If you were to go to court, you and your spouse won’t be able to decide on important matters, such as child custody.
- Cost Savings: It’s no secret that going to divorce court is very expensive. Before you know it, you’ve paid thousands upon thousands of dollars in court and lawyer fees. By opting for mediation, you save money and reach an agreement faster.
- Privacy: Divorce court proceedings are open to the public. If you don’t want strangers hearing about the most intimate details of your marriage, you have another reason to choose mediation. What you say during mediation will be confidential to the parties.
- Guided Support: If you’re in a courtroom, you may feel more nervous and not receive any kind of support from the judge. If you work with a mediator, however, you may receive the support you need to get through the process. Mediators are trained on how to handle hostile situations and provide adequate support.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer
While it’s possible to pursue mediation with the assistance of a family dispute mediation lawyer in Rockville MD, you should still consider hiring one. Here are some of the benefits of using a lawyer during mediation:
- Provide Legal Advice: While a mediator will tell both spouses about their options, they can’t provide legal advice. That’s where a family lawyer Rockville MD residents trust comes in handy. He or she can give you insight about which legal option is best for your individual situation.
- Help You Choose Mediator: Mediators specialize in different dissolution concerns, so it can be tricky to hire the right one. A reputable lawyer will likely know several mediators who they can recommend.
- Save Money: Although hiring a lawyer costs money, he or she can actually help you save more money in the long run. He or she can help you settle on an agreement that reflects your best interests. If you go to mediation without legal counsel, you might choose an unfair settlement that could end up costing you later on.