Skip to main content

Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer Rockville MD

Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer Rockville MD Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer Rockville MD 

According to the American Psychological Association, 40 to 50 percent of marriages result in divorce, with subsequent marriages having an even worse rate of success. Divorces are, of course, very hard on young children. An even more difficult scenario is moving after a separation. Relocation from Maryland to a different state can cause serious conflict between the two separated parents, as well as problems for their child as well. Often, moving is a huge stress on young children, and can have long-lasting negative effects.

However, a good job opportunity or the chance to live with other family members may be too good to pass up and may be seen as positives in the eyes of the court. But, is it always possible for one parent to relocate without the blessings of the other parent? How does a parent gain the court’s permission, or prove to the court that a move would not be in the best interest of the child? A Rockville, MD post-judgment modification lawyer can help.

According to state law, the parent with primary custody may move away with the child unless the other parent is able to prove that the relocation would harm the child. However, if the custody is shared (joint custody), the parent that wants to move with the child must prove to the court that the move is in the child’s best interest, which may be a tall task. Because the final decision is left to the court and these decisions vary, based on the individual circumstances of each case, it is imperative to seek a skilled post-judgment modification lawyer in Rockville, MD available whether you plan on relocating or you are opposed to the other parent’s plans for relocation.

Traveling Out of State and Out of Country

Traveling, while not permanent, is still a big change in the life of a child. It may be seen as an eye-opening, vital experience to one parent, or an unsafe, poor decision by the other. If one parent wishes to travel with the child out of state, they will generally need the permission of the other parent to do so. This is especially true if the other parent will miss their court-ordered right to visitation during the trip. A divorce lawyer Rockville MD  clients trust can help obtain that permission.

Likewise, permission must be granted if one parent decides to travel out of the country with the child. If the other parent cannot be reached during the time before the trip, the parent wishing to travel will need to seek the court’s ruling instead. In some specific custody and visitation agreements, there are restrictions made on traveling with the child, in which case a special court order must be granted to travel. The judge’s ruling must be in writing and include the dates of travel, as well as any other additional information. It is important to take a copy of the ruling with you to show to airport staff and border patrol.

Let a Rockville, MD Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer Help

If you are planning to move with your child, or conversely you wish to stop the relocation that the other parent wishes to make, call the Law Office of Daniel J. Wright to schedule a free and confidential consultation with a post-judgment modification lawyer Rockville MD parents recommend. Call our office today.

Visit Our Office

Schedule A Consultation Today!

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.