Child Custody Lawyer Rockville MD 

What Do I Need to Know About Custodial Parent Relocation?If you’re concerned that your child’s other parent who has primary custody is going to move away, you may be able to legally stop them. In all cases like this, it’s very important to work with a child custody lawyer in Rockville MD rather than take the law into your own hands. If you were to handle this on your own rather than leverage existing laws, you risk a troubling outcome.

At the Law Office of Daniel J. Wright, we have had great success helping parents exercise their legal rights to visit or to have custody of their child. Call us today to schedule a free case review with a child custody lawyer in Rockville MD from our firm who can provide you with the insight you need in order to move forward.

Filing a Legal Motion

It may be necessary for your child custody lawyer in Rockville MD to file a motion with the Court using the argument that if the other parent moves away with your child, it is not in your son or daughter’s best interests. However, this is difficult to say without first consulting with your child custody lawyer who will need to review the circumstances of your situation.

The Rights of Parents Who Do Not Have Custody of the Child

Even though you may not be the custodial parent of the child, that does not mean you are without rights. In fact, after a review of your unique circumstances, your child custody lawyer in Rockville MD from the Law Office of Daniel J. Wright can tell you exactly what is within your rights. A judge may very well agree that your child’s other parent cannot retain primary custody and move away because it would be damaging to your son or daughter for one or more reasons.

When the Custodial Parent Wishes to Move a Long Distance Away

To be legally permitted to do so, the custodial parent must have the Court’s permission to move a long distance away from the other legally recognized parent. (At least 100 miles is considered long distance.) Either the court must have already approved such a move, or else you must give your permission.

When the custodial parent seeks permission from the court to make a long distance move, their filing a notice of intent must be accompanied with an advanced notice of filing sent to you. After you receive this notice, if you wish to argue against their intention to move, you will need to request a court hearing. Your child custody lawyer in Rockville MD from the Law Office of Daniel J. Wright can do this on your behalf. The hearing will be an opportunity for you to explain to the judge why such a move will not be in the best interests of your son or daughter.

Proving Your Case

Presenting a compelling but unemotional case to the judge is extraordinarily difficult for a parent to do on their own without the help of an experienced child custody lawyer in Rockville MD. This is understandable. After all, the thought of not having access to your child is incredibly difficult to bear. However, the court is interested in hearing just the facts.

At the Law Office of Daniel J. Wright, we can build a solid case on your behalf and guide you through the legal process to greatly increase the likelihood of a successful outcome. Call us today. Request a free consultation with a skilled child custody lawyer Rockville MD clients recommend who can give you an overview of how we might be able to make a difference.